THE GIFT OF RECEIVING

12.19.2013

During this time of year we are often bombarded with the amount of giving we should be giving. I want to talk about those times when we literally have nothing to give.



I have had times in my life when I have had very little if anything to give to anyone. They were some of the hardest times in my life that I have ever had to go through, especially when it happened to be a time when giving is spoken of so much.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:"
                                                                                                                                -Ecclesiastes 3:1

There is a time when we have more accommodations to give, but there is also a time when we need to be able to receive gifts with the same enthusiasm. I'm not talking about receiving gifts in general, I'm talking about the times when we need to humble ourselves and be willing to accept help and receive those who are willing to give it. 

As I have mentioned in other posts, I am filled with pride. I am more than willing to help anyone in need, if I am able, but receiving and asking for help has never been one of my strongest attributes. I once received a card with no return address, and with $50 inside. Getting this money was not only an enormous blessing but a very humbling experience. 

As someone who doesn't like to ask for help, I usually only get it from family because they are the only ones who I will let help me, (which is also usually only in dire situations), receiving this money was very difficult for me. I was very appreciative of it but the small fact of me not knowing who to thank, was very difficult for me, and the fact that if I would have known who gave it to me I probably would have given it back because I am so prideful I don't want people to think that I need help. 

Thankfully after receiving the money I remembered the verses in Ecclesiastes that mentions there is a time for every purpose,

"A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose, a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace."
                                                                                                                              -Ecclesiastes 3:2-9 



In order for me to get through the hard times I have to believe that there is a time for everything. There will be a time for me to have everything, but there will also be times for me to have very little; a time for giving and a time for receiving. This season lets not only remember to give but also remember to be grateful for the things that we have received. This is the season to remember the birth of Jesus Christ, who has given us the most amazing gift, that isn't accepted by all. Even among the very little that I do have, it has been very important for me to remember my Savior, Jesus Christ, for he promised that if we follow him, he will give us all that he has.   

"In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you."
                     -John 14:2


No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment or ask us a question