MOTHERHOOD

11.25.2013

In our society the term mother is not only becoming more unimportant but it also becoming a little degrading.



In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I am thankful to be a mother. From the time I was young, moms have become the butt of a lot of jokes; "your mom" jokes, "fat mom" jokes, and probably others that I can not think of right now. While I admit that I have laughed at many of these jokes and I have never taken any of them personally, I find it very sad that society has made a mockery out of mothers.




I received a book entitled, Heaven's Touch; A Tribute to Women, for a Mother's Day present one year. This book is a compilation of quotes about the importance of women. The following gives the importance that I wish to convey:

"Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels." -James R. Clark


In this world, money is becoming more important than being a mother. I understand the need to be financially stable, but placing the importance of having material items above raising our children, is selfish and sad.


In this day and age where morals are being taught less and less is a time where spending more time with our children is important. They are being taught so many things outside of the home that we have no control over, we need to spend as much time in the home teaching in order to help them learn the things that we find important.

In order for motherhood to become more significant to our society we need to put more value in its importance.

"Kristen was finishing a graduate degree and had recently given birth to her second child. She felt the other graduates had accomplished so much more and was reluctant to attend the graduation dinner. Her fears were confirmed when, at the dinner, the students were asked to list their professional accomplishments. Kristen recalled: "I suddenly felt embarrassed and ashamed. I had nothing to call myself, no lofty position, no impressive job title." To make matters wost, the professor read the lists as he presented a diploma to each student. The women ahead of Kristen had many accomplishments: she already had a PhD, was receiving a second master's degree, and she'd even been a mayor! The woman received grand applause.

Then it was Kristen's turn. She handed the professor her blank sheet, trying to hold back the tears. The professor had been one of her teachers and had praised her performance. He looked at her blank paper. Without missing a beat he announced, "Kristen holds the most critical role in all of society." He was quiet for a few seconds, then declared in a powerful voice, "She is the mother of her children." Instead of a few courteous claps, people rose to their feet. There was just one standing ovation that night; it was for the mother in the room."  -Bonnie D. Parkin

I believe that if mothers put more importance in their roles and responsibilities that our society and world would be changed for the better. I am thankful that I am a mother. I am thankful I know how important it is for me to be a mother to my children. HAPPY THANKSGIVING :)

Pin It

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment or ask us a question