TUTORIAL: HOW TO HEM PANTS WITH ORIGINAL HEM LINE

11.11.2013

Hello friends!!! So I have never seemed to be the perfect height for my pants, they are usually too long. But thanks to my friend Brooke, who told me what to do, I was able to hem my own pants, WITH THE ORIGINAL HEM LINE!! (After I showed my sisters, Lindsay said, WOW you can't even tell they're hemmed!) I was happy with her response.

Before I tell you HOW TO, you all need to know that I am no seamstress. I have never felt confident in my ability to sew pretty much anything. (I made my daughter a baby blanket and had to unstitch the whole thing twice before it actually looked like a blanket.) When you want to do something, DO IT. You CAN do it!

"Every person. young and old, has had his or her own personal experience with failing. But as long as we are willing to rise up again and continue on the path toward our goals, we can learn something from failure and become better and happier as a result." -President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

And now the tutorial begins!


To Start you will need:
~Pants that are to long
~Sewing machine
~Thread to match the color of your pants

Lets get Started!!

First put your pants on and figure out how short they need to be.


Since you will be using the original hem line, you will be sewing right up next to the hem line, so when you roll your pants up, make sure to match your hem with how long you will want your pants to be.



 Tuck the bottom part up to really make sure they are as long as you want them to be.

*Note that you can pin your pants, but jeans are pretty stiff and will stay where you rolled them. If you don't feel comfortable not pinning them, pin them.

** Also make sure that you look at both legs together so that you can make sure they are the same length.

Okay, once you are sure your pants are where you want them to be they're ready to sew. The reason you want the thread the same color as your jeans is so that you won't be able to see the new line :)

Make sure your pants are lined up correctly. I'll show you how to this this by the pictures below:

RIGHT
                                   

                                      WRONG

I learned it was wrong after I started sewing! :(

Thread your machine and lets start sewing!!



 I put my pants on my machine, (as picture above) so that I didn't accidentally sew my leg hole closed! Make sure your needle is as close to the original seem as possible. The closer you can get to it, (without being on top of it) the nicer and less visible the new seem will look.




As you can see in this picture I wasn't always way close to the seem. But thankfully since my thread matched my jeans, you can't even tell unless you're looking right at it.


Once you've sewed around the whole thing, do a back stitch, take them off and put them on to see how they look. You will have to tuck them back under your pants. If it looks good feel free to cut the extra fabric around the bottom off!!

Then do the other leg the exact same way!



 Hopefully you're as happy with your new hemmed jeans as I was with mine!!



 Others things to NOTE: If you do end up having to unstitch, be careful not to put a hole in your jeans and start unthreading them.


Pin It

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment or ask us a question